Monday, October 14, 2013

To My Next of Kin

Please do not waste my body in the ground 
while others die for what I'd freely give nor feed me to the fire without a sound
Use my spare parts that other hearts may live
Enfold the burned within my healing skin
Rebuild the lame with bone.
Make sinews strong 
If I must die, let their new lives begin 
Give quality of life for which they long
Take both my eyes.
A son may see the stars and let a mother look upon her child 
We have known love.
A summer life was ours when barefoot through the meadows we ran wild
My life was sweet.
How fast the hours went 
Do this for me and I shall rest content.

Sue Cansdale from her book of poetry, Hope Sparkles. "To My next of Kin" was written by Sue about her daughter, Zoe, who became a donor following her death in a motorbike accident. scansdale@gmail.com / www.legacyoflife.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment